18 May 2020                   

Husband: John Edward Payne Press Also known as: Edward Payne Press 1,2,3
Born: 12 Feb 1870 in Henbury, Bristol, Gloucestershire 4,5,3 (see note 1) Census: 1871 in Ashley Hill, Bristol SS James & Paul, Gloucestershire (see note 2) Census: 1881 in 18 College Road, Clifton, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 3) Census: 1891 in 18 College Road, Clifton, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 4) Census: 1901 in 14 Westbury Park, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 5) Census: 1911 in Avonwood, Sea Walls Road, Sneyd Park, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 6) Died: 6 Feb 1914 in Bristol, Gloucestershire 3 (see note 7) Occupation: 1891 Articled Clerk to Solicitor 6 Occupation: 1901 - 1911 Solicitor 7 Father: John Latham Press (1833 - 1901) Mother: Sarah Amelia Taylor (1838 - 1922) Notes
Wife: Muriel Annie Caroline Hoare Married: 2 Jun 1896 in St George Hanover Square, London 5 (see note 8)
Born: ABT 1866 in Upper High Park Street, Kensington, London 7,8 Census: 1901 in 14 Westbury Park, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 9) Census: 1911 in Avonwood, Sea Walls Road, Sneyd Park, Bristol, Gloucestershire (see note 10) Died: 1937 in London 9 (see note 11) Father: Mother: Notes
1 M Edward Press | Born: 1897 Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire 7,5,8 | Died: | Buried
Sources: (1) . (2) . (3) http://www.cliftonrfchistory.co.uk/captains/press/press.htm. (4) . (5) . (6) . (7) . (8) . (9) . Event Notes Note (1) Mar 1870 Clifton 6a 168 Note (2) Age 1, born Henbury, with family Note (3) Edward P Press: age 11, born Henbury, with family Note (4) Edward P Press: age 21, born Henbury, with family. Articled Clerk to Solicitor Note (5) RG13/2370 f94: Edward P Press, age 31 born Hallen, Gloucestershire. Solicitor, with wife Muriel A C and son Edward Note (6) RG14PN15094 RG78PN909 RD319 SD9 ED2 SN87: Edward Payne Press, age 41 born Hallen. Solicitor, with wife Muriel Annie Caroline and son Edward Note (7) The Bristol Times & Mirror article about his death appeared on 7th February 1914. It says CLIFTON RAILWAY TRAGEDY DISTRESSING FATE OF A BRISTOL SOLICITOR Early yesterday morning a distressing tragedy enacted on the railway near Clifton Bridge Station was revealed by the discovery of a decapitated body of a man. The head was foundon the railway and the trunk nearby. The body was taken to Pill by the driver of the 7.30 train, and was later identified as that of Mr. Edward Payne Press, senior partner of the well-known firm of Bristol solicitors, Messrs. Press and Press. We learn that Mr. Press had been in indifferent health for some months, and had been very depressed, but had refused to accept the advice of friends to take an extended holiday and recuperate. He had no business or financial troubles, and was at business the previous day, leaving at about a quarter to 5, but we understand he did not go home, nor was he heard of until his body was found. The news of so tragic an end to a career of honour and distinction in the legal profession was received in the city and district with profound sorrow for the firm of Press and Press are well-known and highly esteemed. Quite recently they carried out the local negotiations which led to establishment of the Bristol Hippodrome. Mr. E. P. Press was in partnership with his brother , Mr. F. J. Press. Their father was the late Mr. J. L. Press, a solicitor, for many years in partnership with the late Mr. James Inskip. Mr. E. P. Press was educated at Clifton College, and was a popular and prominant player of the Clifton Rugby Football Club for some years after leaving school, captaining the XV in 1892-3 and playing for Gloucestershire. He was also a good cricketer, being a vigorous hitter as a man of powerful build, and of late years devoted the little spare time he could allow himself to the game of golf. He played at Failand, where his loss will be greatly lamented. He married the daughter of Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart., of Sidestrand Hall, Cromer, for twenty years Conservative M.P. for Norwich, and leaves a widow and one son. Bristol Times & Mirror article from 9th February 1914 which detailed the inquest into his death which took place at the Duke of Cornwall Inn, Pill on 7th February 1914. It says THE DEATH OF MR. E. P. PRESS SUICIDE THROUGH UNNECESSARY WORRY AND DEPRESSION The inquest concerning the death of Mr. Edward Press, late senior partner of the firm of Messrs. Press and Press, solicitors, Bristol, was held on Saturday at the Duke of Cornwall Inn, Pill, by Mr. Craddock. Mr. C. E. Barry appeared on behalf of the family. Inspectors Boyle and Phillips represented the Great Western Railway Company; Mr. G. W. Brown, organising secretary of the National Union of Railwaymen for the South-Western District was also present. Mr. Frederick John Press, brother of the deceased, gave evidence of identification, and said his brother was 43 years of age. He last saw him alive on Thursday afternoon at 4.30 in the office at Carlton Chambers. He was in a very depressed condition. The Coroner: From any cause, do you know? Witness: From no business cause, but great worry of mind - imaginary worries. He had imaginary worries? - Undoubtedly. Having none, financial or business? - No financial worry of any sort, but a great deal of business worry. That was not purely imaginary? - It was imaginary. He had lost confidence in himself, and thought he had not advised his clients correctly. That is a delusion if you say it was not a fact? - It was not a fact. I have carefully ascertained all the facts in all his business matters. He lost confidence in his ability to do the work of his clients? - In his ability to do the work of his clients. I may put it you consider that a real delusion? - I am sure of it; I have satisfied myself it was. Did he ever give you the slightest hint that he would destroy himself? - Never. Did he suffer from insomnia? - Very badly, especially during the last three weeks. Had you any idea that he would destroy himself? - No; I had no reason to anticipate that. Witness added that his brother had been attending to his work regularly up to February 5th, very much against the witness's advice and wishes. He first noticed his depression about three weeks ago. He was advised to take a holiday, and said he would. He at one time actually arranged to go away, but came down to the office again, much to the witness's dissappointment. In reply to Mr. Barry, witness said he frequently urged his brother to go away. I think last Sunday his wife sent for you? - Yes, to go to his home. He was then worrying about some advice he thought he had given wrongly? - Yes. He sent for me immediately after breakfast, and said he had had a bad night. I discussed particular business with him for two hours. The Coroner: What was the reason? Witness: He thought he had given bad advice generally, and that transactions in connection with a particular business was wrong. Mr. Barry: May I take it as regards his own private affairs, and as regards the office, he had no financial worries whatever? Witness: Absolutely none. His private debts were under 2. Mr. Barry: And no financial worries in the office? Witness: Absolutely none. His financial affairs were in a perfectly sound, straight condition. Mr. Barry: Did you convince him that he hadn't acted unwisely towards his clients? - Yes, I convinced him at the time, but I have little doubt he had doubts afterwards. The Foreman: Was your brother excitable? - No. He was very retiring, with a great deal of self-confidence. Through life I consider he has had no very great confidence in himself, and he has got noticeably worse lately. Joseph M. Higby, driver of the 7.30 am train from Bristol to Portishead, said that after leaving Clifton Bridge Station he noticed the body of a man in the four-foot way. It was put into the guards van and taken to Pill. The head was not on the body. Wm. John Vanstone, guard of the train, said that he picked up an overcoat, cap, and umbrella, a few yards from where the body was found. Percival Brayley, stationmaster at Pill, proved receiving the body, and P.C. Palmer said that on searching the body he found a note, written in pencil, on part of a cheque torn from a cheque-book. "I cannot bear to worry, my darling, any more." The deceased's watch at stopped at seven minutes to six. His head was afterwards fetched and conveyed to Pill. William Bishop, a ganger, said he found the head 480 yards from where the body was found. Inspector Boyle, of the Great Western Railway, said that the last train left Pill at 1.15 am. but no blood had been found on the engine, or on the engines of trains that had passed prior. Richard Cartlidge, managing clerk to Messrs. Press and Press, said that he saw the deceased at 4.45 pm. in his office on the 5th inst. He was depressed, and very anxious with the worry he had had for a long time. He worried quite unnecessarily, as he had no real case to worry. Witness went into the matters that worried him, and pointed out they were all right. He said he was going out for a bit, and witness told him there would be some letters for him to sign when he came back. Dr. J. O. Symes, deceased's medical attendant, said he had been attending him since January 19th for sleeplessness and some confusion of the mind and depression.. He said his work worried him. He had no organic disease, and did not give witness the idea that he would be likely to lose temporary control over his actions. Witness on two occassions advised him to go away, as he required complete mental rest; and witness thought he had gone away at the time. Mr. S. J. G. Hoare, M.P. for Chelsea, brother-in-law of the deceased, said the relations between the deceased and his wife were of the most devoted character. He did not think husband and wife could be more closely attached to each other. The Coroner, summing up, said that there seemed no doubt that the imaginary worry had caused the deceased to lay himself in front of a passing train. There was no doubt that for the time his mind was absolutely unhinged, and that he lost control over his actions. The Jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during a state of temporary insanity." The funeral will take place today at Portbury at 2.30. A train leaves Temple Meads at 1.40 and Clifton Bridge at 1.51, reaching Portbury at 2.10. Note (8) Jun 1896 St George Hanover Square 1a 823 Note (9) Age 34, born London, with husband Edward P Press and son Edward Note (10) Age 44, born Upper High Park Street, with husband Edward Payne Press and son Edward Note (11) Dec 1937 Marylebone 1a 672 age 70 For comments and questions about this family, email Howard Slatter Updated 18 May 2020 Name Index